The Oregon Seal Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife  
ignore
 » ODFW Home    » Wildlife Division   » Gray Wolves   » Specific Wolves and Wolf Packs in Oregon   » Union County
ignore
ignore
ignore
About Us Fishing Hunting Viewing License/Regs Conservation Living With Wildlife Education
ignore
ignore
Owl WILDLIFE DIVISION
Regulating harvest, health, and enhancement of wildlife populations
ignore

Union County

Area of Known Wolf Activity

Bear Creek Pack AKWA

Current Union County map (pdf)

Within Areas of Known Wolf Activity (AKWA) certain preventative measures are recommended to minimize wolf-livestock conflicts. Though not required, non-lethal measures are important to reduce depredation.  If depredation becomes chronic and lethal control become necessary, ODFW’s ability to lethally remove depredating wolves will be dependent on the extent that non-lethal measures have been used and documented.

Click on each wolf group for more information:

 

Balloon Tree Pack Timeline

2022

April 19, 2022 – In 2021, the Balloon Tree Pack produced three pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair, with seven wolves in the pack.

2021

April 21, 2021 – The breeding male and female (OR63) of the Balloon Tree Pack bred for the first time in 2020.  The pair produced three pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.  Radio-collar data showed a 97 mi² use area with 57% of location data points on public lands and 43% on private lands.

2020

April 15, 2020 – In late 2019, OR63 dispersed from the Noregaard Pack and became resident in the southern portion of the Wenaha WMU.  OR63 was documented with another wolf in early 2020.

Previous Balloon Tree Pack AKWA maps (for reference only): 12/31/2020, 04/15/2020, 12/31/2019 (pdfs)

Back to top

 

Clark Creek Timeline

2022

April 19, 2022 – In 2021, the Clark Creek Pack produced four pups that survived to the end of the year.  The breeding female was missing at the end of the year, so the pack was not counted as a breeding pair.

2021

April 21, 2021 – In 2020, the Clark Creek Pack produced at least four pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.  Radio-collar data showed a 218 mi² use area with 50% of location data points on public lands and 50% on private lands.

2020

April 15, 2020 – In 2019, the newly discovered Clark Creek Pack produced at least two pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.

2019

June 14, 2019 – A new Area of Known Wolf Activity (AKWA) has been designated by ODFW in the northern portions of the Catherine Creek and Minam Units (Union and Wallowa Counties).  A pair of wolves were confirmed during the winter count.  Wolves appear to continue to use the area.  At this time, it is unknown if any wolves have bred, monitoring will continue.

Previous Clark Creek AKWA maps (for reference only): 12/31/2020, 08/20/2020, 04/15/2020, 06/14/2019 (pdfs)

Back to top

 

Five Points Timeline

2022

April 19, 2022 – In 2021, the breeding male of the Five Points Pack was not documented at the end of the year; therefore, the pack was not counted as a breeding pair.

2021

April 21, 2021 – In 2020, the Five Points Pack produced at least four pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.

2020

April 15, 2020 – In 2019, the Five Points Pack produced three pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.  Radio-collar data showed a 183mi² use area with 50% of location data points on public lands.  The remaining 50% were on private lands.

2019

April 8, 2019 – In 2018, the previously named OR52 Wolves produced three pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair and renamed the Five Points Pack.  Radio-collar data showed a 145mi² use area in the Mt. Emily WMU with 55% of location data points on public lands.  The remaining 45% were on private lands.

2018

April 12, 2018 –The OR52 Wolves were discovered early in 2017 and the Department was able to radio-collar the breeding female in late spring. The pair produced only one pup that survived to the end of the year and the group was not counted as a breeding pair.

Previous Five Points AKWA maps (for reference only): 04/21/2021, 12/31/2019, 12/31/2018, 01/31/2018 (pdfs)

Back to top

 

Minam

The Minam Pack spends more of its time in Wallowa County.  See Wallowa County AKWA for more information.

Back to top

 

Noregaard Timeline

2022

April 19, 2022 – In 2021, the Noregaard Pack produced at least four pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.

2021

April 21, 2021 – In 2020, the Noregaard Pack produced six pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.

2020

April 15, 2020 – In 2019, the Noregaard Pack produced at least two pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair. Radio-collar data showed a 663mi² use area with 81% of location data points on public lands.  The remaining 19% were on private lands.

2019

April 8, 2019 – In 2018, the Noregaard Pack produced at least four pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.  The radio-collared wolf in this pack did not return to the Sled Springs WMU after 4/22/18.  Radio-collar data showed a 413mi² use area primarily in the Wenaha WMU with 78% of location data points on public lands.  The remaining 22% were on private lands.

2018

April 12, 2018 – The Noregaard Pack was discovered early in 2018. In 2017, the pack produced at least seven pups that survived to the end of the year and was counted as a breeding pair.

Previous Noregaard AKWA maps (for reference only – see above for current map): 12/31/2020, 12/31/2019, 12/31/2018, 07/05/2018, 03/31/2018 (pdfs)

Back to top

 

OR86 Timeline

2022

April 19, 2022 – The OR75/OR86 pair produced at least two pups during 2021.  OR75 and the pups were not documented at the end of the year, so they are not a breeding pair.  OR86 was traveling with one other wolf during the count.

2021

April 21, 2021 – Radio-collar data indicated OR75 denned outside of the AKWA in April 2020, then returned to the AKWA in early May.  No pups were detected in 2020 and these wolves were not counted as a breeding pair.

2020

April 15, 2020 – An adult female was radio collared in April 2019.   A new Area of Known Wolf Activity (AKWA) was designated by ODFW in the southern Minam and northern Keating WMUs where she was resident in 2019.  She was documented travelling with a male in late February 2020.

Previous OR75/OR86 AKWA maps (for reference only): 12/31/2020, 12/31/2019 (pdf)

Back to top

 

OR96 Timeline

2022

April 19, 2022 – OR96 is a male wolf from the Cornucopia Pack who established a resident use area east of Ukiah in late 2021. He was seen traveling with one other wolf during the winter count.

Back to top

 

OR114 Timeline

2022

April 19, 2022 – In 2021, OR114, a female from the Ruckel Ridge pack, established a resident use area west of Elgin. She was documented during the winter count with another wolf with a failed collar.

Back to top

 

Ruckel Ridge Timeline

The Ruckel Ridge Pack spends most of its time in Umatilla County.  See Umatilla County AKWA for more information.

Back to top

 

Touchet (WA) Timeline

2021

April 21, 2021 – The Touchet Pack primarily reside in Washington State and are counted in Washington’s wolf count.  See www.wdfw.wa.gov for more information.

Previous Touchet AKWA maps (for reference only): 12/31/2020 (pdf)

Back to top

 

Ukiah

The Ukiah Pack spends part of its time in Umatilla County.  See Umatilla County AKWA for more information.

Back to top

 

Wolf track Report wolf sightings
online or call your
nearest field office

 

ignore
ignore
 


About Us | Fishing | Crabbing & Clamming | Big Game Hunting | Game Bird Hunting | Wildlife Viewing | License / Regs | Conservation | Living with Wildlife | Education | Workday Login

ODFW Home | Driving Directions | Employee Directory | Social Media | Oregon.gov | File Formats | Employee Webmail | ODFW License Agents

4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE   ::   Salem, OR 97302   ::    Main Phone (503) 947-6000 or (800) 720-ODFW [6339]

Do you have a question or comment for ODFW? Contact ODFW's Public Service Representative at: odfw.info@odfw.oregon.gov
Share your opinion or comments on a Fish and Wildlife Commission issue at
: odfw.commission@odfw.oregon.gov





   © ODFW. All rights reserved. This page was last updated: 04/19/2022 10:39 AM