The Oregon Seal Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife  
 » ODFW Home    » Wildlife Division   » Rehabilitation
About Us Fishing Hunting Viewing License/Regs Conservation Living With Wildlife Education

Wildlife Rehabilitation

Oregon’s licensed wildlife rehabilitators care for sick, injured and truly orphaned wildlife. They are permitted by ODFW and governed by a set of rules.

What should you do if you see a sick or injured animal?

Call ODFW, OSP or a licensed wildlife rehabilitator before picking up or moving any wildlife. More information.

What should you do if you see a young animal alone?

Leave it where it is unless you saw its parent die. Most animals leave their young to forage or hunt. Removing a young animal from the wild greatly reduces its chances of survival and it is illegal.

If you see a bear or cougar, contact ODFW or OSP. Do not attempt to assist it or assume it has been abandoned. Oregon Administrative Rule does not allow for Wildlife Rehabilitators to rehabilitate bears or cougars.

Removing or “capturing” wildlife from the wild and keeping it in captivity without a permit is against the law. It is considered a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $6,250 fine.

Note: New Oregon Administrative Rules (pdf) associated with wildlife rehabilitation effective July 1, 2011 to December 9, 2015.

Wildlife Rehabilitation 2018 Conference
April 21st, 2018
Salem Headquarters Office - 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr SE Salem, OR 97302
Register Now!

Wildlife Rehabilitation


Rules and Regulations

Other information

To request an informational packet, please email at:


About Us | Fishing | Hunting | Wildlife Viewing | License / Regs | Conservation | Living with Wildlife | ODFW Outdoors | Workday Login

ODFW Home | Driving Directions | Employee Directory | Social Media | | File Formats | Employee Webmail | ODFW License Agents

4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE   ::   Salem, OR 97302   ::    Main Phone (503) 947-6000 or (800) 720-ODFW [6339]

Do you have a question or comment for ODFW? Contact ODFW's Public Service Representative at:
Share your opinion or comments on a Fish and Wildlife Commission issue at

   © ODFW. All rights reserved. This page was last updated: 03/28/2019 3:44 PM