The Oregon Seal Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife mobile
  {Print Window}    {Close Window}   

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need a Wildlife Propagation License?
    An ODFW Wildlife Propagation License is required to raise for sale: game birds (ducks, geese, doves, pigeons, grouse, pheasants, quail, partridge, turkeys, cranes, coots) and game mammals (antelope, black bear, cougar, mountain goat, mountain sheep, silver gray squirrel) (ORS 497.228). Propagation of deer and elk species requires a Cervid Propagation License (OAR 635-049-0010). In addition, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service permit is required to propagate migratory game birds and all raptors.

  • How do I obtain a Wildlife Propagation License?
    Contact any ODFW Wildlife District or Regional office or call the ODFW Licensing Section at (503) 947-6100 and ask for a Wildlife Propagation License application form. This license is issued from the ODFW Salem Headquarters office only.

  • Can I capture wildlife from the wild for the purpose of wildlife propagation?
    No. Oregon law protects game birds and game mammals. The listed species may only be obtained from Oregon licensed propagators.

  • What does a Wildlife Propagation License cost?
    The annual license fee is $27.00, which includes an agent fee of $2.00 (ORS 497.022).

  • When does the Wildlife Propagation License expire?
    The Wildlife Propagation License expires annually on December 31.

  • How do I renew my Wildlife Propagation License?
    Renewal forms will be sent to you each year. Simply complete the renewal application form, note any changes that may have occurred and return the completed application with the $27.00 fee to the ODFW Licensing Section (address above).