Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a Hide/Antler Dealer License?
Any person desiring to purchase or exchange deer, elk, and antelope hides or to purchase or exchange antlers for use in the manufacture of handcrafted items should have a Hide/Antler Dealer License (OAR 635-200-0050).
- Do I need a Hide/Antler Dealer License to sell my handcrafted items made of deer/elk hide or antlers?
No. Once the antler or hide is processed or converted to another form, the Hide/Antler Dealer License is not necessary.
- Do I need a Hide/Antler Dealer License to sell my legally harvested deer/elk hide or antlers to a licensed Hide/Antler Dealer?
No. Any person may sell or exchange the hide or cape of a deer, elk or antelope legally taken during an authorized hunting season. Also, any person may sell or exchange, to a licensed Hide/Antler Dealer, lawfully taken antlers which are detached from the skull, or if the skull is split apart between the antlers. Naturally shed antlers may be sold to a licensed Hide/Antler Dealer for use only in manufacturing handcrafted items from parts of those antlers. Handcrafted items do not include complete sets of antlers or whole heads and antlers, which are mounted for display and other purposes (OAR 635-200-0050).
- How do I obtain a Hide/Antler Dealer License Application?
Contact any ODFW Wildlife District or Regional office or call the ODFW Licensing Section at (503) 947-6100 and ask for a Hide/Antler Dealer License application. Send the completed application and fee to the address listed above. This license is issued from the ODFW Salem office only.
- What does a Hide/Antler Dealer License cost?
The annual permit fee is $17.00, which includes an agent fee of $2.00 (ORS 497.022).
- What are the record keeping requirements for the Hide/Antler Dealer License?
Records must be maintained at the business address of the Hide/Antler Dealer for a period of three years. The necessary information includes the date, numbers and kinds of hides or antlers purchased or exchanged, and the name and address of those from whom the items were acquired.
- When does the Hide/Antler Dealer License expire?
The Hide/Antler Dealer License expires annually on December 31.
- How do I renew my Hide/Antler Dealer License?
Renewal forms will be sent to you each year. Simply complete the renewal application form, note any changes that may have occurred and return the completed application (address above).