June 3, 2014
Salem, Ore. – Free Fishing Weekend in Oregon is June 7-8, and to help people make the most of this opportunity a number of fishing events are planned for central and southeast Oregon.
During Free Fishing Weekend, fishing licenses, tags and endorsements are not required to fish, crab or clam anywhere in Oregon. To make it easier for beginners, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and its partners have teamed up to offer several organized fishing events on Saturday, June 7. At most of these events, fishing gear, bait and instruction will be provided. Some will even have special activities for the kids. Event locations, times and contact information are as follows:
- Caldera Springs, 10 a.m. to noon. More information: Gary Gehlert (541) 593-6141.
- Lake of the Woods, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information: George Gregory (541) 821-2407.
- Klamath Fish Hatchery, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information: Greg Lipsiea (541) 381-2278.
- Burns Gravel Pond, 7 a.m. to noon. More information: Larry Norris (541) 573-6582.
- Wizard Falls Hatchery, 9 a.m. to noon. Children 10 and younger. More information: 541-595-6611.
During Free Fishing Weekend, fishing licenses and tags are not required, although all other regulations apply including bag limit and size restrictions.
Free Fishing Weekend also coincides with State Parks Day, so if you’re going camping or hiking in an Oregon State Park this weekend, be sure and take a fishing rod along.
For those who prefer to explore on their own, there are several helpful resources on ODFW’s website (www.odfw.com) under the Fishing tab, including:
Free Fishing Weekend is always the first full weekend in June. But remember, it’s always free fishing for kids under 14 years old.
For a complete list of Free Fishing Weekend events throughout the state, go the ODFW website at
Jessica Sall (503) 947-6023